Monday, February 4, 2008

Get out the vote

Jason and I were talking tonight about the election tomorrow. We feel excited by the possibility that Obama might be the Democratic presidential candidate and I can’t wait to find out how the voting goes on Tuesday.

This is just a quick post to remind people to vote in the primary – which is Tuesday for many people. One of the things that I love about Obama is that he cares to lessen the widening gap between rich and poor. I admire that he spent a few of his pre-political years as a community organizer, working with low-income residents in Chicago. I think this gives him a unique perspective on class issues that most presidential candidates do not have. In the Senate, he has helped pass legislation that helps working people, like increased subsidies for child care.

I came across a letter that Joan Baez wrote to the editor of the San Francisco Chronicle. I like what she wrote, so here it is:

Editor - I have attempted throughout my life to give a voice to the voiceless, hope to the hopeless, encouragement to the discouraged, and options to the cynical and complacent. From Northern Ireland to Sarajevo to Latin America, I have sung and marched, engaged in civil disobedience, visited war zones, and broken bread with those who had little bread to break.

Through all those years, I chose not to engage in party politics. Though I was asked many times to endorse candidates at every level, I was never comfortable doing so. At this time, however, changing that posture feels like the responsible thing to do. If anyone can navigate the contaminated waters of Washington, lift up the poor, and appeal to the rich to share their wealth, it is Sen. Barack Obama. If anyone can bring light to the darkened corners of this nation and restore our positive influence in world affairs, it is Barack Obama. If anyone can begin the process of healing and bring unity to a country that has been divided for too long, it is Barack Obama. It is time to begin a new journey.

JOAN BAEZ

Menlo Park

In family news, we spent a fun weekend a few hours outside of Akita City. We will post some pictures later, but for now here are a couple of videos of Jonas sledding.


1 comment:

Linda said...

I was so excited about this primary - but in Kansas they're doing a caucus for the first time, meaning that half of our household voters won't be able to vote (the other half having to stay home to watch Lincoln).

I am *very* disappointed in this change - they have disenfranchised so many people!